ADU Building, Zoning, and Design Regulations for Stockton, CA
Stockton is a great place to build an ADU and allows you to add significant value to your property. Before you start building, make sure you understand Stockton’s special use regulations for accessory dwelling units.
ADUs are permitted on all residentially zoned properties that are occupied with a single-family dwelling unit or will be improved with a single-family dwelling unit prior to or at same time as ADU construction.
One ADU is allowed per single-family lot. ADUs are also permitted on lots with multifamily development.
- One conversion ADU is allowed on a lot with one or more existing multifamily buildings. A conversion ADU cannot be more than 25% of the existing multifamily unit. Storage rooms, boiler rooms, passageways, attics, basements, or garages can be made into conversion ADUs as long as each accessory dwelling unit complies with the applicable provisions of Title 15.
- A maximum of two (2) detached accessory dwelling units are permitted when the lot has one or more existing multifamily buildings, as defined in this section.
There are no off-street parking requirements for ADUs and if a garage is converted to an ADU, replacement parking is not required.
ADUs can be built as detached or attached units to the primary residence, within an existing home or accessory structure, or as a garage conversion. The City of Stockton’s ADU regulations allow for a range of sizes up to 1,200 sf. The zoning of your property and the size of your existing lot and house will be determining factors in how large of an ADU you can build.
- Attached accessory dwelling units: An attached ADU is allowed up to 1,200 square feet in area but no more than 50% of the existing living area, whichever is less.
- Detached accessory dwelling units: Detached ADUs are allowed up 1,200 square feet.
- Conversion ADUs: Conversion of existing residential space or an existing accessory structure into an ADU has no limitations on size.
Stockton ADU Rentals
Accessory dwelling units in Stockton may be rented, although rental is not required if you have an ADU. The rental term must be longer than 30 days. The accessory dwelling unit should not be sold or otherwise conveyed separately from the main dwelling unit, except as provided at Government Code Section 65852.26.
Design Requirements for Stockton ADUs
- If exterior alterations, additions, or construction of a new structure is required for an ADU, the ADU improvements shall be architecturally compatible with the main dwelling unit.
- No portion of an ADU balcony, deck, or open stair landing that faces the rear lot line or the side nearest to the ADU shall be higher than three feet from the ground.
- For accessory dwelling units that do not meet the zoning designation’s setback for the main dwelling unit, no portion of any window that faces the lot line where the setback requirement for the main dwelling unit is not met may extend above 10 feet from the ground.
Custom ADU Builder in Stockton
Over the years, we have worked throughout the greater Stockton area, including Sacramento and Fresno. In addition, our team has installed backyard structures throughout the Central Valley including Modesto and Bakersfield.
“Wonderful displays of outdoor and indoor possibilities. My questions were answered quickly, with options only experienced by time spent with many customers.”
Mark Kalinowski (Google Review)
Build Your ADU & Get a Quote
Interested in adding an Accessory Dwelling Unit to your property? Use our builder to customize your ADU, then we will contact you to set up an initial consultation to discuss your pricing and other options.