Custom Accessory Dwelling Units in Sacramento and Central Valley
Find out how easy it is to affordably add additional living space to your property with an accessory dwelling unit. See what makes us the leading installer of ADUs in northern California. Since 2009, we’ve helped homeowners throughout the Sacramento region upgrade their property’s comfort level, usable space, and resale value with premium quality backyard structures.
What is an ADU?
Benefits of Building an ADU
An accessory dwelling unit increases your property’s value since it’s an entirely separate living space. This new livable space officially adds, square footage, bedrooms and bathrooms to the county record of your home’s parcel and is an area that can be covered by homeowner’s insurance. You can also legally rent out your ADU as a way to earn additional income.
You can fully customize your ADU with the same high-quality materials that you would use in your own home. Unlike finished sheds, ADUs can have multiple rooms including a kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom – each outfitted and furnished as well as a room in a full-sized home. Everything is built to code and fully-permitted, using building-grade materials designed to last for over 50 years.
We’ve seen our customers use their ADUs in extremely creative ways including:
- A small home for an aging relative
- A place for an adult child to live, work, and have their own space
- Downsizing to age-in-place while family moves into larger house
- Rental property or Airbnb for supplemental, passive income
Have ADU Questions? Get Answers from the Experts
We’ve compiled our years of experience building prefab structures into The Ultimate Guide to ADUs in California. In this guide, you’ll learn everything you need to know about the ADU process – from planning & permitting to designing & construction.
Custom ADU Builder in Sacramento
Over the years, we have worked throughout the greater Sacramento region, including Citrus Heights, Rancho Cordova, Roseville, Davis, Vacaville, and Elk Grove. In addition, our team has installed backyard structures throughout the Central Valley, including Lodi, Stockton, Modesto, Merced, Fresno, Visalia, and Bakersfield.
Regulations for Building an ADU in Sacramento, California
How Many ADUs Can I Have on My Property?
The City of Sacramento allows a total of two ADUs on a single lot. That property must have an existing (or proposed) primary residential structure such as a house, duplex or apartment.
Zoning Requirements in Sacramento
- The Maximum size of a detached ADU cannot exceed a total of 1,200 square feet. If you have two detached ADUs on a property, the total square footage between the two cannot exceed 1,200 square feet.
Setback (distance from property line)
- The City of Sacramento does not have a setback requirement if you convert an existing structure into an ADU.
- An ADU’s front yard and street-side yard (if on a corner lot) setbacks must comply the the property’s zone. Find zone setback requirements in Sacramento City Code Sections 17.200-17.224.
- Two-story ADUs must have either a 3-foot side yard and rear yard setback or the property’s zone – whichever is less.
- One Story ADUs without a side yard or rear yard setback must be at least 60 feet from the front property line or comply with two-story setbacks.
- Detached ADUs must be a minimum of 4-feet from each other an the primary residence. Two detached ADUs under one roof do not require this separation.
See all requirements for building an ADU in Sacramento, CA
Featured Project: Stern Circle Sacramento
This recently completed ADU project is a 510 square foot standalone structure in Sacramento, California. This structure is 15′ x 34′ and features 1 bedroom, 1 bath, and full kitchen. Total cost of the project is $177,349
“Wonderful displays of outdoor and indoor possibilities. My questions were answered quickly, with options only experienced by time spent with many customers.”
Mark Kalinowski (Google Review)
Get a Quote
Interested in adding an Accessory Dwelling Unit to your property? Contact us for an initial consultation.