ADU Building, Zoning, and Design Regulations for Vallejo, CA
With recent updates to California’s ADU laws, Vallejo is a great place to build an ADU and allows you to add significant value to your property. Before you start building, make sure you understand Vallejo’s special use regulations for accessory dwelling units.
Vallejo ADU Zoning Requirements
- Single-family ADUS as well as multifamily dwelling units and JADUs are allowed on all lots zoned for residential use EXCEPT in in the following districts: Freeway Commercial (CF), Medical (M), Intensive Use – Limited (IUL), and Public and Quasi-Public Facilities (PF).
- One Detached, Attached, or Conversion single-family ADU and one JADU are permitted on an existing lot.
- Multifamily conversion ADUs are limited to one structure and cannot be more than 25% of the existing unit count in the multifamily building. 2 detached multifamily dwelling units are permitted on an existing lot.
- Only one JADU is permitted on a lot.
Setback Requirements for ADUs in Vallejo
Development standards for ADUs in Vallejo, including setbacks have been simplified and are listed below for detached and attached single-family ADUS as well as detached multifamily ADUs. There are no setback requirements for conversion ADUs.
- Side setbacks should be a minimum of 4 feet.
- Rear setbacks should be no less than 4 feet.
Maximum Size for ADUs in Vallejo, CA
- Attached accessory dwelling units: An attached ADU is allowed up to 50% of existing or proposed square footage for the primary dwelling unit.
- Detached accessory dwelling units (single-family & multifamily): One and two story detached ADUs are allowed a maximum area up to 1,000 square feet.
- Conversion ADUs: Studio and 1 bedroom conversion ADUs must be less than 850 square feet. Conversion ADUs with 2 or more bedrooms can be no more than 1,000 square feet.
- Junior ADUs (JADUs): JADUs can have a maximum size of 500 square feet.
- Both single-family and multifamily ADU height cannot exceed the height of the primary unit and are limited to 2 stories or 25 feet (whichever is less).
Vallejo ADU Rentals
The city of Vallejo prohibits the use of any ADU as a short term rental. To be used for rental purposes and as a source of passive income, accessory dwelling units and junior accessory dwelling units may only be rented in increments of 30 days or more. Neither an ADU nor a JADU can be rented for periods of less than 30 days.
Parking Requirements for ADUs in Vallejo
For any single-family or multifamily ADU, one (1) parking space is required.
Additionally, no parking is required for properties not in Vallejo heights or Beverly Hills if any of the following apply:
- The property is located in a designated historic district
- The property is within 0.5 miles of an active public transit stop
- When on-street parking permits are required but not offered to the occupant of an ADU
- The property is within one block of a car-share vehicle.
For an internal conversion ADU or for a JADU, additional parking is not required. Replacement parking for existing dwelling unit(s) is not required when a garage, carport, or covered parking structure is physically replaced by an ADU.
Custom ADU Builder in Vallejo
Over the years, we have worked throughout the greater Vallejo area, installing ADUs and backyard structures in Santa Rosa, Napa, and Sonoma.
“Wonderful displays of outdoor and indoor possibilities. My questions were answered quickly, with options only experienced by time spent with many customers.”
Mark Kalinowski (Google Review)
Build Your ADU & Get a Quote
Interested in adding an Accessory Dwelling Unit to your property? Use our builder to customize your ADU, then we will contact you to set up an initial consultation to discuss your pricing and other options.