ADU Building, Zoning, and Design Regulations for Fresno, CA
Fresno is a great place to build an ADU and allows you to add significant value to your property. Before you start building, make sure you understand Fresno’s special use regulations for accessory dwelling units.
Zoning Requirements in Fresno
- One main dwelling unit and one accessory dwelling unit and one junior accessory dwelling unit may be allowed on any lot in a residential or mixed use zone where there is only one existing single family dwelling on the lot.
- No more than two accessory dwellings in a new building detached from the existing buildings may be added to a lot that has an existing multifamily dwelling unit.
- Attached accessory dwelling units: An attached ADU is allowed up to 850 square feet in area for single bedroom units and no more than 1000 square feet for multiple bedroom units.
- Detached accessory dwelling units: One bedroom detached ADUs are allowed up 850 square feet or up to 1,000 square feet for multiple bedrooms.
- Junior ADUs: Maximum square footage for JADUs is 500 square feet.
Fresno ADU Rentals
Accessory dwelling units and junior accessory dwelling units in Fresno may only be rented in increments of 30 days or more.
Parking Requirements for ADUs in Fresno
No more than one off-street parking space per bedroom or unit (whichever is less) is required for an ADU in the City of Fresno.
No parking is required for an ADU or junior ADU if:
- The unit is within 0.5 miles of a transit stop.
- The ADU is in a district with architectural and historical significance.
- On-street parking permits are required but not offered to the occupant of the ADU.
Custom ADU Builder in Fresno
Over the years, we have worked throughout the greater Fresno area, including Sacramento and Bakersfield. In addition, our team has installed backyard structures throughout the Central Valley including Stockton and Modesto.
“Wonderful displays of outdoor and indoor possibilities. My questions were answered quickly, with options only experienced by time spent with many customers.”
Mark Kalinowski (Google Review)
Get a Quote
Get started on building your Tiny Home today with our online builder, and we’ll follow up with you to schedule an initial consultation to discuss your options and pricing.